Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has asserted that Hamas militants committed horrific acts during their attack on Israel, including beheading soldiers and perpetrating sexual violence against women.
Meanwhile, the local population grapples with escalating uncertainty in the Gaza Strip as the region’s sole power plant depleted its fuel reserves and ceased operations on Wednesday.
On Wednesday, American casualties reached 22, and Israeli fatalities surpassed 1,200. Meanwhile, in Gaza, a sense of desperation engulfed the population as the aftermath of Hamas’ brutal attack and Tel Aviv’s response resulted in devastated neighborhoods, homes without electricity, and dwindling hospital supplies.
State Department U.S. citizen
The State Department released a statement confirming the unfortunate loss of a minimum of 22 U.S. citizens at this juncture. The message also conveyed heartfelt condolences to the victims and their affected families.
Furthermore, the White House has reported that 17 Americans are still unaccounted for in the current situation.
As Israeli soldiers reclaimed communities near the Gaza border, they came across streets strewn with the remains of civilians, including women and children. The Israeli health ministry has indicated that the death toll is anticipated to rise as fighting persists and more bodies are uncovered in these settlements.
Israel will ‘crush and destroy’ Hamas, Netanyahu says
In a late-night televised address from Jerusalem, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu made grave allegations on Wednesday, asserting that during their assault on Israel, Hamas had committed heinous acts such as beheading soldiers and perpetrating sexual violence against women.
He emphatically declared Israel’s determination to “crush and destroy” the militant group, firmly stating that every member of Hamas would face dire consequences.
Netanyahu says soldiers beheaded, women raped in Hamas attack
Jerusalem: On Wednesday, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu delivered a late-night address where he alleged that Hamas militants had engaged in horrifying acts, including beheading soldiers and sexually assaulting women, during their attack on Israel.
Netanyahu provided grim details of the atrocities that unfolded during the assault, mentioning the tragic shooting of boys and girls in the head and the horrific act of individuals being burned alive.
The attack resulted in a devastating toll, with at least 1,200 Israelis losing their lives and prompting a forceful Israeli response in the Gaza Strip.
Israel orders military closures
Palestinian workers arriving West Bank
Palestinians forced to leave their jobs in Israel seek refuge in Ramallah in the West Bank, where a temporary shelter has been established to accommodate them.
The sudden arrival of approximately 600 workers has created a challenging situation expected to worsen as more displaced individuals arrive, warned Ramallah Governor Laila Ghannam on Wednesday.
Inside the shelter, men sat on mattresses, sharing stories of mistreatment by Israeli soldiers. Raed Al-Moghribi recounted their ordeal, saying, “We were working, and everything was fine, but suddenly they came and detained us. When we informed them that we were from Gaza, they began assaulting us.”
These workers began arriving in Ramallah on Wednesday, brought by Israeli security forces to checkpoints in the West Bank.
Khader Achour, another Gaza resident employed in Israel, expressed his desire to return home. Still, he faced the heart-wrenching reality that his home had been demolished, and he had lost family members to violence.
The displacement of these Palestinian workers highlights the complex and dire situation many individuals living in the region face.
White House says the U.S. is working to allow safe passage out of Gaza for civilians
WASHINGTON — On Wednesday, White House National Security spokesman John Kirby revealed that the United States is engaged in ongoing discussions to facilitate the safe departure of civilians from Gaza.
Kirby emphasized that Israel and Egypt are central to these efforts, recognizing their pivotal roles in achieving this goal.
“Our cognizance is at the harmless civilians who’ve devoted no wrongdoing, and we’re devoted to making sure they’ve the approach to go out safely.”
According to Palestinian authorities, the toll in Gaza has tragically risen to over 1,100 individuals, including militants and civilians, with more than 5,000 people sustaining injuries.
On Wednesday, Israeli airstrikes continued for the fifth consecutive day, causing extensive damage to homes and essential infrastructure.
Gaza, home to over 2 million Palestinians, faces dire circumstances, including the looming threat of a complete power outage and severe shortages of food and clean water. On Wednesday, the head of Gaza’s Energy Authority revealed to Al Jazeera Mubasher that the enclave’s sole power plant had exhausted its fuel supply.
Furthermore, the United Nations’ World Health Organization reported that the medical supplies previously stockpiled at hospitals had been depleted.
Second US aircraft carrier heading to Mediterranean
A second U.S. aircraft carrier is being dispatched to the Mediterranean Sea, ready to assist Israel if necessary.
As announced by White House National Security spokesman John Kirby on Wednesday, the USS Dwight D.
Eisenhower and its accompanying strike group are set to depart within the next week for their pre-planned deployment within the European Command Area.
Kirby stated, “The USS Dwight D. Eisenhower will be deployed to the Mediterranean, where it will be a readily available asset along with its accompanying escort vessels.”
Kirby clarified that a decision has yet to be reached regarding whether the warship will join the USS Gerald R. Ford aircraft carrier already stationed off the coast of Israel, which was deployed shortly after the Hamas attack. Nonetheless, the simultaneous presence of these two vessels significantly bolsters the United States’ formidable presence in the region.
Kirby emphasized, “We are sending a strong and unequivocal message that the United States is fully prepared to respond should any entity with hostile intentions towards Israel contemplate escalating or expanding this conflict.”